Re: Strong memory consumption by List-plotting functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102332] Re: Strong memory consumption by List-plotting functions
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 05:56:28 -0400 (EDT)

markus wrote:

> Hi again,

> it seems that functions like ListVectorPlot3D, ListContourPlot3D, and

> similar ones, have a kind of memory leakage: each time one of these

> functions is executed, the memory usage increases (as indicated by the

> SystemMonitor). That is, after calling these functions, say 20 times,

> with some larger dataset, all my RAM is used up and I have to restart

> Mathematica. Using constructs like

> g = ListVectorPlot[...]

> Clear[g]

> also don't help.

> My system: Linux openSuse 10.3, Mathematica 7.01

> is anybody else experiencing these problems?

> -Markus

Hi Markus,

I can verify this on Windows Vista, Mathematica version 7.01.

Normally you Mathematica needs more memory because it stores output lines.

However, setting $HistoryLength to zero does not help. Consider:

$HistoryLength = 0;

Do[

  ClearSystemCache[];

  ListVectorPlot[Table[{y, -x}, {x, -3, 3, 0.2}, {y, -3, 3, 0.2}]];

  Print[MemoryInUse[]];

  , {10}]

Daniel