Re: Re: Select text with keyboard?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102724] Re: [mg102574] Re: Select text with keyboard?
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 03:36:33 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately i still cannot get it to work
> as expected although perhaps my expectations are different!
>
> If for instance i enter the text
> hello world
>
> and place the cursor before w then press shift + right arrow 3 times
> then the wor is selected. That is fine so far.
> If i then press shift + left arrow then the space before w gets
> selected! I am used to the selection decreasing in size so that only
> wo would be selected at this point.
>
> Does text select the same way for anyone else?
> Is there any way to change this behaviour?
>
> Thank you,
> Matt

Hi, Matt,

  I remember seeing this asked (and never really addressed) a couple of times over the last several years. Many other posters have written, saying that they don't see anything wrong with the way Mathematica's text-selection works.
  I would like to say that it's annoying to me that Mathematica's text-selection works as it does (ESPECIALLY with keyboard-based highlighting); using shift+ctrl+arrow to select entire words in one direction or the other (or shift+arrow for single characters) is as I expect from multitudes of other programs. Having the selection only increase in size (otherwise, one has to start over if something is selected which you don't want selected) seems a poor user-interface choice. I've tried to get used to it (heaven knows I've got used to almost everything else in Mathematica, and use it constantly), but this is one thing which is against all other programs' behavior.
   I've never found a way around this, Matt.  Good luck!

                     Curtis O.

--
Curtis Osterhoudt