Re: Log[x]//TraditionalForm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96062] Re: [mg96049] Log[x]//TraditionalForm
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 05:18:02 -0500 (EST)

No, in mathematics log x or log(x) is a perfectly acceptable, perhaps
the predominant, notation for the base-e, natural logarithm.

In calculus books, ln x or ln(x) is typically used for that --  so as
not to confuse students who were taught that log means the base-10
logarithm.

O.T.: P.S. M.I.T. has an all-male a cappella singing group named the
"Logarhythms".

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305