Re: Re: Log[x]//TraditionalForm

Tthe notation ln seems to have become essentially extinct since the
disappearance of slide rules. It fact, was almost never used in books
on analysis or calculus aimed at mathematicians. I have just checked and
Dieudonne, Foundations of Modern Analysis, published in 1969 uses log,
Apostol, Calculus, published in 1967 uses log, Rudin, "Principles of
Modern Analysis", published in 1964 uses L after remarking that "the
usual notation is, of corse, log"), Rudin "Real and complex analysis",
published in 1970 uses (naturally) log. Of 5 books that I have looked
at only one, Fichtenholtz - A course of differential and integral
calculus (in Russian) published in 1966 uses ln, which is presumably
because it was aimed at engineers, who in those days still used slide
rules (at least in Russia). (In spite of that, it is still a rather
good book).

Andrzej Kozlowski