Re: Graphics export for high quality documents

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96889] Re: [mg96807] Graphics export for high quality documents
  • From: Andy Anderson <aanderson at amherst.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 08:01:54 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Nathan,

On Feb 25, 2009, at 4:05 AM, Nathan Myhrvold wrote:

> It is hard to get high quality output into Microsoft Word.   If I
> export
> graphics as WMF or EMF the text frequently look funny - there is a
> character layout issue.  I think this has to do with how Mathematica
> deals with spacing and scaling.  Setting ImageSize helps, and using
> the
> right font names helps, but there still are problems.

If at all possible avoid Windows Metafile Format; it's old and breaks
easily. Bu there are also seem to be multiple versions of EMF floating
around, and I've noticed some issues popping up again with Office
2007. In any case, you might try running EMF files through Adobe
Illustrator and saving them as a new file (EMF or PDF) before
releasing them on Microsoft products. I've had success with this in
the past.

> Graphics export for high quality documents
>
> For use in the book we want to import the pictures into Adobe
> InDesign.
> I am not an InDesign user, but when I have tried to import PDFs from
> Mathematica using the Place command, what I get looks like a scaled,
> low
> res bitmap.  The book publishing / design / layout people that I have
> spoken with so far all want me to export raw data so the graphs can be
> made with other software - they have no experience with Mathematica.
> Yet many people seem to do books with Mathematica so this must be a
> solved problem.

It's possible that the low-quality image you see is simply to speed up
its display in InDesign; try menuing View > Display Performance and
choosing a higher setting.

-- Andy