Re: Taking LCM in a polynomial expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95354] Re: Taking LCM in a polynomial expression
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 06:10:14 -0500 (EST)

Hi Srikanth,

the magic word to get a common denominator is: Together. E.g.:

Together[num1/den1 + num2/den1]

The second question is tougher. Mathematica orders increasingly by

default. You therefore have to prevent this by e.g. HoldForm. Try:

a2 x^2 + a1 x + a0

and

HoldForm[a2 x^2 + a1 x + a0]

Next question is how to get the polynomial inside HoldForm. Assume

p=a0 + a1 x + a2 x^2

a polynomial in default ordering. We may get its coefficients with

CoefficientList. The function Reverse reverses the coefficients list

cof=Reverse@CoefficientList[p, x]

the powers of x in our ordering:

pow=Table[x^i, {i, 2, 0, -1}]

The polynomial term in a list:

pol= cof pow

Now we insert pol into HoldForm by substitution and change List into Plus:

HoldForm[dummy]/.dummy->pol /. List->Plus

All together:

p=a0 + a1 x + a2 x^2;

cof=Reverse@CoefficientList[p, x];

pow=Table[x^i, {i, 2, 0, -1}];

pol= cof pow;

HoldForm[dummy]/.dummy->pol /. List->Plus

this gives:

a2 x^2+a1 x+a0

hope this helps, Daniel