Taking LCM in a polynomial expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95365] Taking LCM in a polynomial expression
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 06:12:21 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Srikanth,
try Factor:

In[4]:= (num1/den1 + num2/den1 + num3/den1) // Factor

Out[4]= (num1 + num2 + num3)/den1

Have fun,  :-) , Alexei

Hi
I have a symbolic matrix that I invert. When I take each individual
entry of the resulting matrix, I get an expression of the form:
num1/den1 + num2/den1 + .... + num_n/den1
where den1 is the determinant of the matrix. I'd like to get an
expression of the form:
Num/Den.

I tried using Simplify (as well as multiplying the matrix by its
determinant), but it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions?

On a related note, the final Num is a polynomial in two variables -
say x,y. I'd like to arrange it in decreasing powers of x - like f1(y)
x^n + f2(y) x^n-1... + constant. What function should use? Is there
any way to both in a single step?

Thanks a lot
Srikanth

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., Habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 Contern
Luxembourg

Phone: +352 2454 2566
Fax:   +352 2454 3566

Website: www.iee.lu

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.