Re: Mathematica and Access

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95363] Re: Mathematica and Access
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 06:11:57 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> I have to manage an huge database in Microsoft Access format.

I have no experience with huge access databases (usually when databases
get huge I think the database-people try to avoid access, but 'huge'
might be relative...). Have you looked at the DatabaseLink
documentation? They have an example about how to handle an access
database via ODBC there, which does exactly what you seem to need. Just
search for ODBC in the documentation center. The documentation was
obviously done with version 5 but it still works with 7, except that the
example database is now here:
../SystemFiles/Links/DatabaseLink/Examples/publisher.mdb

the interesting thing is, that this works even without access being
installed. The downside is that some of the examples in the
documentation don't work, probably since pathes have changed...

hth,

albert