Re: Parallel computing with Mathematica 7?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95368] Re: Parallel computing with Mathematica 7?
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 05:26:09 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

 > Does anybody have a positive experience with parallelization in
 > Mathematica 7?

yes, but your example

> Timing[ParallelTable[Element,{i,1,2}]]
>
> where Element = Tr[MatrixExp[A]] and A is a large latrix.

is a very stupid one. You can't expect that the distribution
of a large matrix A to the kernels will not need the
most of the time, while the computation of the expression
itself is so quick that you will never see a speed up.
Since the master kernel does the most work when
it distribute the matrix to the other kernels (
and this is a serial task), you see only
this in the processor load.

Successful parallelization, i.e., one with a speed up,
is a hard work and not a matter
of putting Parallel*[] in every possible position.

BTW: A parallel program should be slower than a serial one.
Only in a few cases this is not the case.

Regards
   Jens