Re: Mathematica and Access

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95454] Re: Mathematica and Access
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 02:56:47 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> OK, I see how to access the Example databases, including the one that's
> in Access format.
>
> But how do I access my own Access .mdb database?  When I run the
> OpenSQLConnection[] wizard and specify to use ODBC(DSN), I'm asked to
> enter the DSN.  What's that?  And where do I enter the actual location
> of my Access database?

I have played with the connection wizard a little and found that it
provides very simple access to an access database file when choosing
'Microsoft Access(ODBC)' as database type, not ODBC(DSN). You can then
choose a filename. For my tests I copied the buildings.mdb to my desktop
and chose that. This did not work with the default settings, only when
choosing "TransactionIsolationLevel" to be "ReadCommitted" instead of
the default "ReadUncommited" the connection could be established. So you
may need to play with the connection options in the last dialog to find
settings that result in a successful connection to your file which may
or may not support some of the possibilities that access database files
seem to provide...

hth,

albert