Re: Re: Re: Collect exponents only

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101488] Re: [mg101428] Re: Re: [mg101385] Collect exponents only
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 07:13:27 -0400 (EDT)

The FullForm of the expression on which Simplify is mapped looks
like : Plus[u,v] where u is the (FullForm of) A*E^(I*(x + y) - I*x)
and v the (FullForm of) A^2*E^(I*(x + y) - I*y). So by mapping
Simplify on the expression we Simplify the summands without
simplifying the sum itself. This is why no factorization takes place.

(Note that, in general
  f /@ g[a, b]
g[f[a], f[b]]
)