Re: Symbolic summation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101618] Re: [mg101561] Symbolic summation
  • From: "Elton Kurt TeKolste" <tekolste at fastmail.us>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 23:26:32 -0400 (EDT)

There is some confusion in your question about the role of the
subscript.

If you have a known series of terms, then it would be best to define
them as a function, as in, say

f[n_Integer]:=n^2

To define the sum of the first n terms:
1 + 4 + 9 + ... + n^2

For example

In[94]:= Sum[f[k],{k,7}]
Out[94]= 91

The summation may be symbolic if the function is not defined

In[82]:= Sum[k[i],{i,7}]
Out[82]= k[1]+k[2]+k[3]+k[4]+k[5]+k[6]+k[7]

Or if it is defined symbolically

In[110]:= Sum[i^a,{i,7}]
Out[110]= 1+2^a+3^a+4^a+5^a+6^a+7^a

In the example that you provided below, k1 is an atomic symbol, and thus
an unknown constant in the summation.  The answer provided by
Mathematica is correct:
k1 + k1 = 2 k1.  But the integers in "k1", "k2", ... do not represent
subscripts -- this is character string concatenation (<>), which
produces (in the example below) seven distinct new symbols, none of
which have an assigned value.

In[84]:= Sum["k"<>IntegerString[i],{i,7}]
Out[84]= k1+k2+k3+k4+k5+k6+k7

Subscripts are similar to concatenation in meaning but look different.
The following will also generate seven new symbols -- the subscripts
don't copy to the email so you'll have to try it in Mathematica

In[81]:= Sum[Subscript[k,i],{i,7}]
Out[81]= Subscript[k, 1]+Subscript[k, 2]+Subscript[k, 3]+Subscript[k,
4]+Subscript[k, 5]+Subscript[k, 6]+Subscript[k, 7]

Kurt TeKolste