Re: Spell Check on a Mac

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101674] Re: Spell Check on a Mac
  • From: ragfield <ragfield at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 05:34:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Jul 12, 5:52 am, Thomas Dowling <thomasgdowl... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running Mathematica v 7.0.0 on a Mac G4 (non-intel, OSX v 10.5.7), and
> my problem is that I cannot get Spell Check to work.
>
> Specifically, from the SpellChecker dialog box, I get the message
>
> 'Reason for stopping:  The spelling Dictionaries for %S could not be'
>
> I have checked that the relevant file it there (I am presuming this is
> MathematicaWords.clm)
>
> (/Users/powerbook/Library/Mathematica/SystemFiles
> /SpellingDictionaries/English/MathematicaWords.clm)
>
> and, using OptionsInspector, that the SpellingDictionaryPath is apparently
> OK.
>
> Although it is probably not relevant, the DictionaryLookup command works
> perfectly.
>
> Finally, I have now installed Mathematica 7.0.0 on two Macs: the above G4
> and a G5, and
> SpellCheck works on neither (exactly the same problem on both machines).
>
> (I can, however, SpellCheck with Publicon, and there was no problems with
> Mathematica 5.2. I
> am not sure about v 6.0, but I don't rememeber any problem).
>
> I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if others have
> succeeded in using SpelllCheck on
> a Mac with version 7.0.0 or 7.0.1?
>
> If anyone has any idea what I am doing wrong, or what the problem is, I
> would appreciate the advice.

Is Mathematica installed in a folder whose name contains any non-Latin
characters?  What about your home directory?  Does it still happen if
you start Mathematica with clean preferences (temporarily move ~/
Library/Mathematica/FrontEnd/init.m to a different location)?

Changes were made to parts of the spell checker in 7.0, but I've never
heard of a problem like this before.

-Rob