Re: Plot Label at bottom with quote marks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101669] Re: [mg101640] Plot Label at bottom with quote marks
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 05:33:29 -0400 (EDT)

Once you select "AE" from the DrawingTools and click in the plot, the cell
changes from an Output cell to an Input cell. And in an Input cell
(non-graphic) Strings are shown with the quote marks. However, after you
make your modifications to the plot use Shift-Enter and a NEW Output cell
will be produced that does NOT have the quote marks.

So now the problem is that you have two Input cells that are involved in the
specification of the final display. Should you keep them all in your
notebook? What happens if you find that you want to change the Sin[3 x] to
Sin[4 x]? Then you have to reevaluate the first statement and then redo all
the hand touchup you might have done to the plot with DrawingTools!

My personal preference is to have the entire plot specification in one
textual statement that can be modified while perfecting the plot. So I would
use Epilog to add any Text primitives (perhaps using Drawing Tools to get
coordinates) and write you plot specification as follows:

Labeled[
 Plot[{Sin[3 x] + 0.3 x, 0.3 x}, {x, 0, 10},
  Epilog -> {Text["Some Text", {2, 3.5}]},
  AxesLabel -> {Text[Style["Years", Bold, FontSize -> 14]],
    Text[Style["Price", Bold, FontSize -> 14]]},
  PlotRangePadding -> {0.5, 0.5},
  PlotStyle -> {Black, Black}],
 "Fig. 1"]

David Park