Re: Releasing memory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101770] Re: [mg101685] Releasing memory
  • From: Filippo Miatto <miatto at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:21:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
I have the almost the same problem, but somehow this happens only with =

my mac. (!)
I have an optimization algorithm to run, and when i run it under linux =

it works well and never fills up all the available ram, when i run it =

with my mac (exactly the same notebook) after a short time it
regularly starts to fill a huge swapfile.
I use mathematica 7, the mathkernel is the 64 bit version.
How can I release memory without quitting the mathkernel?
Thank you
Filippo

On Jul 14, 2009, at 11:36 AM, Zach Bj=F8rnson wrote:

> Hello-
>
> I frequently write scripts that call external programs, exchanging
> data
> by temporary files. The Mathematica scripts tend to take up large
> amounts of memory (2-7 gb), as do the external programs (~4 gb). I
> can't
> figure out how to get Mathematica to actually release memory so that =

> the
> external programs have that memory to use.
>
> Clear, ClearAll and Remove remove the definitions from Mathematica, =

> but
> the amounts of memory in use by the MathKernel processes don't change.
> (Quitting the kernel does the trick, but is obviously not a feasible
> solution when Mathematica has work to do both up and down-stream of =

> the
> external call.)
>
> Advice?
> Thanks!