Naming Operators in Pure Function form

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101806] Naming Operators in Pure Function form
  • From: Sid <pcoords29 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 04:48:06 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Mathgroup,

I am having a problem with naming differential operators wriiten as
pure functions.

Consider the simple example   (1-D wave operator)

        (D[#1, x] + D[#1, t] & ) @ (D[#1, x] - D[#1, t] & )   ...
(*)

I want to name the diffl operators as follows :

 Let  X  be  d/dx  and  T  be d/dt

Now, if I  define  X = D[#1, x] &   and   T =  D[#1, t]  &,  that

won't do.  Also, omitting an ampersand will give zero.

So , how should I define pure functions X and T so that (*) above

can be written  as

                        (X +T ) @ (X -T )

 (In my actual problem, I have in place of X  a spherical Laplacian
plus some first-order operators and constants. )

 Any hints to help me suss this out  will be most appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards.

Sid.