Re: Dynamic freeze

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101816] Re: Dynamic freeze
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 04:49:56 -0400 (EDT)

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
>  From time to time when opening a notebook containing dynamic content
> (e.g. a Mathematica demonstration) Mathematica appears to freeze, and
> then the following message appears:
>
> One or more dynamic objects are taking excessively long to finish
> evaluating. You may either disable further dynamic evaluations or
> continue waiting. Dynamic updating can be re-enabled using the Dynamic
> Updating Enabled command in the Evaluation menu.
>
> All very well, except that my experience has taught me that this
> situation is (almost?) always equivalent (from the user point of view
> anyway) to a Front End Crash. Clicking the "Continue" button seems to
> guarantee that the same dialog will return after a further period of
> apparent freeze. Clicking on "Disable Dynamic Updating" is usually
> impossible and in fact I am not sure if I have ever succeeded in
> getting out of this sort of situation without having to Force Quit
> Mathematica.
>
> What's more worrying is that this sort of thing happens with perfectly
> good notebooks containing no errors of any kind, including
> demonstrations downloaded from the Demonstrations site. It only
> happens from time to time, fortunately not very often,  but I have not
> been able to discover any reproducible way to arrive at this
> situation. It looks like it depends on the internal state of
> Mathematica rather than on the contents of the notebook.
>
> I am experiencing this now with version 7.01 under Mac OS X, 10.5.7,
> but I think the same thing used to happen in every version since
> version 6 and Mac OS X.
>
> Andrzej Kozlowski

Yes - this happens with Windows too. Unfortunately, I think the FE is
now so complicated, because of Dynamic, that it is no longer very stable :(

One way of rescuing the FE (at least most times), that I have
discovered, is to use a system command (e.g. task Manager under Windows)
to kill the kernel process - don't try to do this from the FE. The
system usually seems to hiccup a bit, but recovers, which can be
important if you have unsaved work!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk