Thoughts on a Wolfram|Alpha package for

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101856] Thoughts on a Wolfram|Alpha package for
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 05:59:06 -0400 (EDT)

In a day a while ago I put together the Wolfram|Alpha lookup tool for
Mathematica which quite a few folks have downloaded and are using:

http://www.scientificarts.com/mathematicatools/blog/BE3451431867/BE3451431867.html

There is certainly much more that I could build to make use of Wolfram|
Alpha in Mathematica and to interface with it from Mathematica.  But
the problem or me is the cost of my time....   Alas, it's a rare
resource.  I suspect that spending the time to build such a package
wouldn't pay for itself either at a fixed inexpensive) cost (say$20
per license) or as "donation ware" at that rate.

What are peoples thoughts as to

1) what you'd like to see in it
2) would you buy it

My general model for building something like this would be to create
an initial base functionality and then to add to it (at no incremental
cost to paid users for new versions just  as I do with
http://scientificarts.com/worklife)

Sadly 3rd party application for Mathematica sell very poorly--rarely
even beginning to recoup the cost to develop them.  But I could do
this if there were a couple of hundred users willing to purchase it.

So, just thinking out loud...

Your opinions....  is it worth it?  I suspect not...

--David
http://scientificarts.com/worklife)