Re: Show doesn't work inside Do loop ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101973] Re: Show doesn't work inside Do loop ?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 06:16:00 -0400 (EDT)

In article <h4951e$q2e$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net> wrote:

> A Do loop never generates any output on its own. Print generates the output,
> so add a Print header to the Show statement.

David,

Can't quarrel with your overall response here -- but might you also
agree that your two statements above are in a real sense contradictory.

To put it another way:

*  Show, executed in a single cell, sure generates output.

*  Print, executed in a single cell, sure generates output.

So, I think my off-cited even if mythical "ordinary user" would very
reasonably conclude that wrapping Show *or* Print in a Do should produce
multiple versions of the single-cell output.  Producing multiple
versions of what some single-cell expression does is what Do loops are
*supposed* to "do" -- nicht wahr?  And "Show" is as an imperative a verb
as is "Print".

I'm not really interested in why Print can Do, and Show can't.  I'm just
noting that this is an easily and reasonably misunderstood situation,
and that's unfortunate.