Re: Thoughts on a Wolfram|Alpha package for

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101971] Re: Thoughts on a Wolfram|Alpha package for
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 06:15:38 -0400 (EDT)

In article <h49514$q20$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net> wrote:

> My experience is that WRI is not a great help to 3rd party developers. Of
> course, they don't mind users providing free software on MathSource. They
> have a very different attitude between academic and non-academic people and
> this overwhelmingly determines their response.

An interesting observation -- and one that's compatible with the
licensing statements that occur on some of their products and web
facilities (as megalomaniacal as they are unreasonable and
unenforceable, IMHO).

I'm a lifelong academic (42-year faculty career, 42 PhD graduates),  In
retirement I continue to do some personal academic research and related
computation, and both in my academic career and post-retirement I did or
do a minor amount of paid consulting.  Am I a "non-academic people" when
I do the latter.  Am I supposed to purchase academic and non-academic
copies of Mathemtica?  Or pay the non-academic price for everything?