Re: Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on a Wolfram|Alpha

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102001] Re: [mg101925] Re: [mg101912] Re: [mg101885] Re: Thoughts on a Wolfram|Alpha
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 03:54:40 -0400 (EDT)

Two comments...

David Park wrote:

> ... WRI does not provide ANY value added. Kagi handles all the
> transaction business, collects any required taxes, markets all over the
> world, and takes only a small reasonable fee. They don't have any dealers in
> different parts of the world that also require a cut, and they also pay more
> promptly..... WRI has 21st century technology with an 18th century business
> model.

WRI does add one large value: exposure of the package to potential
buyers on the wolfram.com web site!

> I seriously doubt the claim that the number of active Mathematica users is
> in the millions. That might, with some stretch, be the number that have
> Mathematica available to them in some form, but I would guess that the
> number of active users is an order of magnitude (or two) less....

Here's a bit of information that seems to be consistent with your doubt
of that claim:  When WRI prices a university site license, they base the
cost, in part, on the number of possible student users and not the
likely number of actual users.  Thus, in the case of my university, as I
understand it, they added up the numbers of all science majors, all
engineering majors, all management majors, and perhaps some other
particular groups.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305