Re: Re: solving a system of two equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102025] Re: [mg102018] Re: solving a system of two equations
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 05:53:29 -0400 (EDT)

Correct. My "solution" was OK algebraically, but spurious, since
BetaDistribution takes two POSITIVE parameters.

Here are the extreme values of Mean and Variance (not all of them
achievable, hence the messages I've turned off):

Clear[a, b]
{m, v} = Through[{Mean, Variance}@BetaDistribution[a, b]];

f = #1[{#2, a > 0, b > 0}, {a, b}] &;
Off[Minimize::"natt", Maximize::"wksol"]
Transpose@Outer[f, {Minimize, Maximize}, {m, v}]

{{{0, {a -> Indeterminate,
     b -> ComplexInfinity}}, {1, {a -> ComplexInfinity,
     b -> Indeterminate}}}, {{0, {a -> 0, b -> Indeterminate}}, {1/

That is, Mean varies from 0 to 1, and Variance varies from 0 to 1/4. Of
the four limits, only one (variance == 1/4) is achievable. The other
interval end-points are open.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at bigfoot.com