Re: Re: The audience for Mathematica (Was: Show doesn't work inside Do loop ?)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102103] Re: [mg102057] Re: The audience for Mathematica (Was: Show doesn't work inside Do loop ?)
  • From: "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at telia.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 05:55:30 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/28/09 at 8:04, Bill Rowe wrote:

> The problem here is most high school students are in the
> process of learning mathematics and have little knowledge of
> advanced mathematics. Is it really a good idea to give
> students learning say algebra access to a tool like
> Mathematica? If you do, what will they learn? Algebra or
> usage of the tool?

How about learning to use algebra as a tool?

Replace the word "algebra" with "square root" and "Mathematica" with "a
calculator".

Is it really a good idea to give students learning say square root access to
a tool like a calculator?

In my opinion it is a much greater value to understand the abstract concept
"square root" and to be able to use it when it is applicable, than to be
able to calculate the exact value of the square root of 51.432456.

The same should apply to algebra and Mathematica. Or?

Best regards

Ingolf Dahl