Re: The audience for Mathematica (Was: Show doesn't work inside Do

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102149] Re: The audience for Mathematica (Was: Show doesn't work inside Do
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 05:46:11 -0400 (EDT)

Helen Read wrote:

> You can teach them both at the same time, using one to reinforce the other.
>
> I teach my (university) calculus students *calculus*, using Mathematica
>
> - as a tool for graphing and visualization
> - as a tool for carrying out numerical calculations
> - to check work done by hand (integrals, derivatives, algebra, etc.)
> - to carry out such work (integrals, derivatives, algebra, etc.) after
> we have done the thinking / setting up
> - for discovery learning, where the students can explore and learn by
> looking at examples, and build or re-inforce concepts

Your teaching style sounds really effective - certainly in comparison
with the courses I attended as a student - in the days of chalk!

My only query is, how do you set homework problems where you want the
student to solve the problem by hand - say an integral that requires a
substitution. Some students will inevitably get the answer with
Mathematica, and then fill in the intermediate steps!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk