Re: Thoughts on a Wolfram|Alpha package for

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102065] Re: Thoughts on a Wolfram|Alpha package for
  • From: mark mcclure <mcmcclur at unca.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 02:05:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Jul 20, 5:57 am, David Reiss <dbre... at gmail.com> wrote:
> In a day a while ago I put together the Wolfram|Alpha lookup tool for
> Mathematica which quite a few folks have downloaded and are using:
>
> http://www.scientificarts.com/mathematicatools/blog/BE3451431867/BE34...
>
> There is certainly much more that I could build to make use of
> Wolfram|Alpha but
> ....  is it worth it?  I suspect not...

I don't really see the Wolfram|Alpha API as too exciting for
Mathematica directly; after all, the Wolfram|Alpha computes it's
results with Mathematica in the first place.  More exciting to me is
the possibility of using Wolfram|Alpha from other languages that don't
have all the built in computational tools.  Imagine, for example, the
ability to call Bessel or Airy functions from Javascript.  Javascript
suddenly becomes much more powerful.

Mark McClure