Automatically adding bottom frame line to cells without output?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100453] Automatically adding bottom frame line to cells without output?
  • From: Stoney Ballard <stoneyb at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 03:34:17 -0400 (EDT)

Some of he style sheets that come with Mathematica, such as the
Creative and Report versions, put frames around the input and output
cells, but leave off the bottom line from input cells. This makes
sense for those input cells that have output, but when there is no
output, such as for a function definition, it looks ugly.

Is there a way to automatically add a bottom cell frame line in that
case?

I also looked at adding a private style (Input 2) to a notebook, so I
could set function definitions to that and have the bottom line
appear, but I couldn't see how to add a style in the "Private Style
Definitions" notebook. Is that possible? I want to have it be a
private style so that it goes with the notebook when I give it to
someone.

In the end, I manually selected the cells without bottom lines and
used the option inspector to add them. Rather annoying.

Thanks for any advice.