Re: Tube in ParametricPlot3D with too many details

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100448] Re: Tube in ParametricPlot3D with too many details
  • From: Peter Breitfeld <phbrf at t-online.de>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 03:33:20 -0400 (EDT)

Giovanni Lanzani wrote:

> On May 29, 1:33 am, Peter Breitfeld <ph... at t-online.de> wrote:
>> Giovanni Lanzani wrote:
>> > Hi,
>>
>> > I'm using the following code to get a tube around a homoclinic loop
>>
>> > hloop = ParametricPlot3D[{-2 Sech[ u], u - 2 Tanh[ u], 0 }, {u, -5,
>> >    5}, PlotStyle -> {Tube[0.1], Red}, Axes -> None]
>>
>> > The only issue is that, if I try to export it as a pdf, I get too many
>> > details which results in (too) big pdf.
>>
>> > Is there anyway to have Mathematica producing a plot with less
>> > details? Thanks in advance
>>
>> > Giovanni Lanzani
>>
>> This problem came up with version 6 for graphics rendered using
>> GraphicsComplex. It has been discussed in this group. The best solution
>> is to use File->PrintSelection. In the printer menu chose "save" to
>> print to a pdf.
>>
>> The drawback is, the picture takes a whole page, so you have to open it
>> in a graphics program like GraphicsConverter (on Mac) to adjust the regio=
> n.
>>
>> --
>> Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany --http://www.pBreitfeld.de
>
> Thanks Peter,
>
> this did the trick.
>
>> It has been discussed in this group. The best solution
>> is to use File->PrintSelection.
>
> Would it be possible to point me the discussions where the others
> solutions are explained?

Giovanni,
I don't remember exactly the messages where this was discussed. You may
google in mathgroup for 'large pdf' or consider the package
'FixPolygons' on http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/7029/.
After applying FixPolygons onto your graphic, you can export it the
usual way, giving smooth pdfs of moderate size. But the .eps files are
still huge. The processing of FixPolygons needs some time (about 5 to 10
minutes on my G5)

Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany -- http://www.pBreitfeld.de