mathematica tutor for NYC high school student

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100534] mathematica tutor for NYC high school student
  • From: hlalvani at aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 05:01:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hello

We are wondering if you can help us with this.

We live in Manhattan (NYC) and are seriously considering withdrawing
our 15 yr old son (presently in 9th grade) from the school system and
give him homeschooling that is creative, adventurous and non-competing.
Naturally, for Math we are thinking of Mathematica so all his high school
math curriculum can be done visually but with mathematical rigor.

Question: Do you know some group/program/person in NYC so we can find a
Mathematica tutor for our son so he gets excited about the
inherent beauty of Math and covers the basic knowledge he needs ?
He needs to cover Geometry, Trig, Algebra and Calculus at the high
school level (grades 9-12).

It is a long shot, but I am placed in Architecture and need to look
outside my field for guidance. So the web becomes my first stop. At
some point I will walk over to Courant Inst and see if they can help.

Best regards

Prof. H. Lalvani, PhD