Re: Calculation of the surface after intersection of two spheres

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100905] Re: Calculation of the surface after intersection of two spheres
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 04:50:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Horacius,

place the spheres symmetrical on the x axis at -0.5 and 0.5. Then the

intersection is at x=0. The total surface is twice that of one sphere.

Now, consider the truncated sphere as a rotation surface. The radius:

y[x] as a function of x. Use the formula for the surface of a rotation

body. Then integrate for x=0 to x=1.1. This is implemented her:

r = 0.6;

x0 = 0.5;

y[x_] = Sqrt[r^2 - (x - x0)^2];

Plot[ {y[x, 0.5]}, {x, 0, 1.1}, AspectRatio -> Automatic]

2 Integrate[2 y[x] Pi Sqrt[1 + y'[x]^2], {x, 0, 1.1}]

Daniel