Re: Plot contour regions over a globe

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101141] Re: Plot contour regions over a globe
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 07:12:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

what is so complicated on

plt = ContourPlot[
   Re[SphericalHarmonicY[6, 3, th, phi]], {th, 0, Pi}, {phi, 0, 2 Pi},
   ContourShading -> False, ContourStyle -> {Red, Green, Blue, Yellow}]

Graphics3D[
  {Cases[plt, _GraphicsComplex, Infinity] /.
    GraphicsComplex[pnts_, more___] :>
     GraphicsComplex[
      Function[{th, phi},
        1.01*{Cos[phi]*Sin[th], Sin[phi]*Sin[th], Cos[th]}] @@@ pnts,
      more], Sphere[{0, 0, 0}, 1]}
  ]

And

plt = ContourPlot[
   Re[SphericalHarmonicY[6, 3, th, phi]], {th, 0, Pi}, {phi, 0, 2 Pi}]

Graphics3D[
  {Cases[plt, _GraphicsComplex, Infinity] /.
    GraphicsComplex[pnts_, more___] :>
     GraphicsComplex[
      Function[{th, phi},
        1.01*{Cos[phi]*Sin[th], Sin[phi]*Sin[th], Cos[th]}] @@@ pnts,