*slowing down* a Mathematica process (Dynamic/Refresh question)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101100] *slowing down* a Mathematica process (Dynamic/Refresh question)
  • From: Michael Stern <nycstern at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 06:31:23 -0400 (EDT)

I hope to use Mathematica as an interface to an outside process, in
which it periodically polls an outside data source and performs
calculations on the data. The problem is, the loop is quick and
Mathematica polls the outside datasource too often. UpdateInterval does
not help (I think it effects how often the updated results are
displayed, but the polling continues as quickly as Mathematica can do
it). Adding a call to Pause[] doesn't help either, as it causes the
entire session to freeze and become unusable.

I have tried this a variety of ways, getting the same behavior each
time. A schematic of one version of the code appears below

DynamicModule[{holder},
 Dynamic[Refresh[FinishDynamic[]; holder = callToOutsideDataFeed[],
UpdateInterval -> 1]]

Are there any Dynamic/Refresh gurus out there who can help?

Thank you,

Michael Stern