Re: pdf export problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98045] Re: pdf export problem
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 02:41:49 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 27, 4:35 am, David Elbert <elb... at jhu.edu> wrote:
> Hello All-
>
> I have been having problems exporting notebooks to pdf and was hoping
> someone might have some insight.  I submitted a support request to
> Wolfram, but have not heard back.
>
> Quick background:  Mathematica 7.0.0; Macintosh Front End (OS X Leopard=
 10.5.6).

> Quick summary:  I am writing "handouts" for distribution in a math/
> stats class.  Some characters disappear when converting to pdf.
> Example that has been vexing me lately is the less-than-or-equal-to
> sign (unicode character 2264, I think).  I just get blank spaces in
> its place.
>
> My theories (obviously wrong or I wouldn't be here asking!):  I
> thought it was a problem with font installations, but I have tried
> different fonts without success.  I also have noted that the problem =

> occurs when the cells are "text" style, but goes away if I make the
> cell "equation" style.  I can't decide if there is a problem in the
> style definitions, a bug that improperly defines fonts (and/or misses
> embedding) into pdf, or something to do with "high" unicode characters.
>
> Apologies if my perusal of the archives has missed another discussion
> of this issue, but thanks to anyone who can offer any insight or
> help.  I thought such font problems were well in my past, but no such =

> luck.
>
> Thanks-
>
> David
>
> David Elbert
> Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences &
> Environmental Science and Policy Program
> Johns Hopkins University
> 3400 N. Charles St
> Baltimore, MD 21218
>
> elb... at jhu.edu

David,

Well I can see your problem now. The difference from what I did and
what you did (and this is a guess), is that I created my test cells
with the less than as an Input cell and then changed the style to
Text. So I created another test case with the cell being created as a
Text cell initially, and sure enough it shows the problem.

So two workarounds are available:

1. Create your cells as Input and convert them to Text with the Format/
Style/Text command
2. Use another type of less than, e.g. \LessSlantEqual which does not
seem to have the same problem.

Wolfram, you have a bug - IMHO. Because the problem does not occur in
both types of Cells (Input and Text), I sure would guess the problem
is Mathematica's and not a PDF/Adobe problem.

-Bob