Re: New Wolfram Tutorial Collection documentation is ready

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99285] Re: New Wolfram Tutorial Collection documentation is ready
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 05:56:08 -0400 (EDT)

In article <gtef3u$145$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Thomas Münch <thomas.muench at gmail.com> wrote:

> The largest of the files is "Visualization and graphics", which comes
> at almost 140MB. I opened it in Acrobat (Professional version), and
> simply out of curiosity removed all the Metadata and hidden
> information in the pdf (You can do this under the Menu item "Document
> > Examine Document...", at least under Windows). After doing this, and
> saving the file, the size was reduced to less than 30 MB, just a bit
> over one fifth of the original! On first visual inspection, the two
> versions appear to be identical.

For those of you on Macs and without Acrobat, there's a modestly priced
app called PDF Shrink, from Apago, which does the same thing. I've used
it for a month or two now, and been quite happy with it.

It can be handy, in fact, even if you have Acrobat, since it allows you
to specify different levels and types of shrinkage (e.g., choose the
resolution for pixel graphics, chose how much metadata to remove); make
a named icon for each of these choices; chose a string to be added to
the file name applying each of these choices; and then activate any of
the choices by just dragging the source file onto that icon.