Re: New Wolfram Tutorial Collection documentation is ready

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99308] Re: New Wolfram Tutorial Collection documentation is ready
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 06:00:25 -0400 (EDT)

On May 1, 3:24 am, Thomas M=FCnch <thomas.mue... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I downloaded all of the PDFs, and it took a very long time, even on my
> fast connection at work. My guess is that Wolfram gives these
> downloads less bandwidth compared to, for example, downloading
> software, or the curated data. But I would say that's all right.
>
> The largest of the files is "Visualization and graphics", which comes
> at almost 140MB. I opened it in Acrobat (Professional version), and
> simply out of curiosity removed all the Metadata and hidden
> information in the pdf (You can do this under the Menu item "Document> Ex=
amine Document...", at least under Windows). After doing this, and

> saving the file, the size was reduced to less than 30 MB, just a bit
> over one fifth of the original! On first visual inspection, the two
> versions appear to be identical.
>
> This particular file contains lots of graphics, so the reduction in
> size might not be as large in other files, I didn't try. But anyways,
> this begs the question: did I remove ANY functionality by doing this?
> If not, it would be much nicer if Wolfram could place PDFs of reduced
> size for download on their website.
>
> thomas

I tried what Thomas did for all the files and the total size for all
23 files dropped from about 362 MB to about 188 MB, so this amounts to
about a 50% decrease in file size. Seems like quite a lot of overhead.
Wonder what all this extra stuff was???

-Bob