MathGroup Archive 2009

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

ColorFunction on a linux system (xorg) loses graphics

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99584] ColorFunction on a linux system (xorg) loses graphics
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 00:18:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Organization: LANL
  • Reply-to: cfo at lanl.gov

Dear all, 

I've been having a frustrating time with plotting things on a compositing (for example, KDE 4.2) system, so turned the compositing off. To my surprise, I still can't get graphics to show up correctly. This is using Mathematica 7.0.0 on any recent linux kernel, on KDE or XFCE, or Enlightenment.

Any 3D plot (a simple Plot3D) will work, but I can see the output *only* when rotating it with the mouse. Once the rotation/resize is done, the graphics show up as white-on-white again. When saving such output, .PDF works, but anything raster based (like jpg) gives only the white output. 
   To my further surprise, any graphics expression (even those in the Help documentation) which uses a ColorFunction statement don't show up either, whether they're 2D or 3D. For example, the following (taken right from the documentation) gives only a blank output:

Plot[Sinc[x], {x, 0, 10}, PlotStyle -> Thick, 
 ColorFunction -> Function[{x, y}, ColorData["NeonColors"][y]]]

Now, it may be a peculiarity of my graphics setup, but no other programs are giving me any problems.

Is there any advice for things I can try? I'd like to keep my gee-whiz graphics setup if possible, but if it's not possible, I'll change things to accomodate Mathematica.

-- 
==================================
Curtis Osterhoudt
cfo at remove_this.lanl.and_this.gov
PGP Key ID: 0x4DCA2A10
==================================

• Prev by Date: Re: Odd ordering of results?
  • Next by Date: Re: copy and paste to other programs
  • Previous by thread: book and the web
  • Next by thread: Re: ColorFunction on a linux system (xorg) loses graphics