Re: Introducing the Wolfram Mathematica Tutorial Collection

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99618] Re: Introducing the Wolfram Mathematica Tutorial Collection
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 03:22:25 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/7/09 at 6:33 AM, siegman at stanford.edu (AES) wrote:

>Bob F (author of the original post appended below) and I are
>evidently very much in agreement about the value of PDF
>documentation.  Let me just add one note.

>Split windows are certainly good, particularly if you have either
>large (or multiple) monitors and/or excellent eyesight.

>An equally good, maybe even better, alternative is to be able to
>jump back and forth (preferably with a single keystroke or
>mouseclick) between two different full-screen "environments" or
>"views", with Mathematica open and running in one of these and the
>PDF documentation open and viewable in some reader-friendly
>application in the other.

>The "Spaces" capability in Apple's Leopard OS provides a
>sophisticated way to do this; the Cmd-Tab application switching
>capability in earlier Mac operating systems is almost equally handy.
>I'd assume there are equivalent capabilities on most other
>platforms.

On the Mac platform, you can do precisely this with the existing
online documentation as follows:

Open the documentation center
Hit the key that shows all spaces (for me F7)
Drag the documentation center window to an empty space

Now you can switch from the space running your main notebook to
the space with the documentation center by using whatever key
stroke you set up to switch among the spaces you've set up. This
has the added benefit over PDF documentation of being able to
copy and paste from whatever you are viewing in the
documentation center window to your running notebook.

In fact, on the Mac, I cannot see any benefit to PDF
documentation over the existing online documentation.