Re: Introducing the Wolfram Mathematica Tutorial Collection

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99514] Re: Introducing the Wolfram Mathematica Tutorial Collection
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 06:33:28 -0400 (EDT)

Bob F (author of the original post appended below) and I are evidently
very much in agreement about the value of PDF documentation.  Let me
just add one note.

Split windows are certainly good, particularly if you have either large
(or multiple) monitors and/or excellent eyesight.

An equally good, maybe even better, alternative is to be able to jump
back and forth (preferably with a single keystroke or mouseclick)
between two different full-screen "environments" or "views", with
Mathematica open and running in one of these and the PDF documentation
open and viewable in some reader-friendly application in the other.

The "Spaces" capability in Apple's Leopard OS provides a sophisticated
way to do this; the Cmd-Tab application switching capability in earlier
Mac operating systems is almost equally handy.  I'd assume there are
equivalent capabilities on most other platforms.

A non-trivial side benefit is that in this situation you know where you
are at all times; and some accidental or mistaken keystroke in one space
can't mess up what you're doing in the other space.