Re: Question about filenames for Export[...]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99792] Re: Question about filenames for Export[...]
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 02:04:54 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/13/09 at 5:09 AM, szhorvat at gmail.com (Szabolcs Horv=C3=A1t) wrote:

>I'd also like to know if there is a "neat" way to achieve this.  The
>way I've been using was not that pretty ...

>makeFileName[i_Integer] :=
>"prefix" <> ToString@PaddedForm[i, 4, NumberPadding -> "0"]

I typically use NumberForm rather than PaddedForm. But I don't
think this difference would meet your criteria for "neat"

>What I hate about this is that it adds an extra zero ...  See what
>makeFileName[12345] outputs.

There is an "extra" space associated with positive numbers which
is replace by zero. Since this always happens for positive
numbers, there is a simple way to get rid of the extra zero.
Changing your function above to:

makeFileName[i_Integer] :=
"prefix" <> StringDrop[ToString@PaddedForm[i, 4, NumberPadding

or