Re: GuiKit, seeking some guidance and comments

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99779] Re: GuiKit, seeking some guidance and comments
  • From: ragfield <ragfield at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 01:41:31 -0400 (EDT)

On May 13, 4:08 am, meitnik <meit... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am considering porting my palette to GuiKit in a few months. Hey, I
> need to enjoy using my palette for awhile doing math right. ;-)
>  What do you long time users of Mathematica think of GuiKit? What is
> its strengths and weakness, is it worth mastering as preparing for the
> future of Mathematica? How is the best way to learn GuiKit, what are
> the best examples of GuiKit to be studied? How polished and stable is
> GuiKit?

GUIKit is the Mathematica 5 way of doing user interfaces.  Mathematica
6-7 have support for building user interfaces which are better
integrated with the rest of the system.  GUIKit should still work, and
if it does exactly what you want go ahead and use it.  You should keep
in mind that Wolfram Research's development resources are likely to be
focused more on the Mathematica 6 integrated user interface features
than on the old GUIKit features.

If you find the integrated user interface support lacks features
(found in GUIKit or elsewhere) please send your feedback to Wolfram
tech support.

-Rob