Re: Introducing the Wolfram Mathematica Tutorial

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99776] Re: Introducing the Wolfram Mathematica Tutorial
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 01:40:58 -0400 (EDT)

In article <gue2l2$7mk$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> But Spotlight isn't the only tool available on a Mac for doing
> searches on a Mac. There are the Unix tools find and grep which
> allow searches for any text in any file regardless of whether it
> is part of an application package or not. Additionally, this can
> be done from Mathematica itself using FindList with FileNames.
> And all of this works just fine with notebooks. In fact, since
> notebooks are ASCII files, these tools work better with
> notebooks than PDF files.

Many of the documentation notebooks in Mathematica seem to open with
many of their cells closed, and in a "paged" mode (you only see one page
on screen, so far as I can tell, and have to jump from page to page,
rather than scrolling continuously).

So do these various tools find stuff in closed cells?

And if you're viewing some documentation notebook on screen and do a
search, willl these tools open the closed cell for each hit, and let you
jump down through all the pages and see all the hits using, for example,
the key combo Cmd-G? (which is a fairly widely used standard for "Find
Next" in many other situations).