NIntegrate & Integrate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100048] NIntegrate & Integrate
  • From: Konstantin <kzhuravl at mtu.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 01:47:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hello everybody,

Easy question for Mathematica. Evaluate definite integral: 2*Cos[x] from 8.76 to 4.56.

I have evaluated it three different ways: Integrate, NIntegrate and Integral sign from basic math input palette.

Here is the code(without Integral sign from basic math input palette):

    Clear[x]
    {a, b} = {8.76, 4.56};
    NIntegrate[2*Cos[x], {x, a, b}]
    Clear[x]
    Integrate[2*Cos[x], {x, a, b}]

My output is:

    3.21059(NIntegrate)
    -3.21059(Integrate)

The right answer is -3.21059.

Why does NIntegrate gave me wrong answer? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Konstantin