Re: Re: Wolfram|Alpha Lookup Tool for Mathematica

FWIW, my take on this is somewhat the other way 'round -- based upon
what Stephen Wolfram has said explicitly and upon some well-known past
history...

Wolfram says that for many years he had the goal of a computational
knowledge engine.  When the curated databases and related functions
showed up in Mathematica 6 and 7, I was a puzzled as to what new market
for Mathematica he was really aiming for. But now it's clear that a
primary impetus for that added Mathematica functionality was to provide
a tool for his computational knowledge engine.

Similarly, past additions to Mathematica could be explained (after the
fact, perhaps) as tools that enabled him to better do NKS types of
computations.

This is not to say that enhancements to Mathematica cannot also be
accounted for as simply widening its functionality and market. Just that
there really have been some very fundamental driving forces having to do
with much broader goals -- not just the development of Mathematica per se.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305