Mathematica for Behavioral Research?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100195] Mathematica for Behavioral Research?
  • From: Lin Li <lli8 at kent.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 04:25:55 -0400 (EDT)

This is Lin from Kent, OH. I am thinking about how to better use Mathematica for behavioral research. To be able to collect millisecond-level empirical responses, software packages are needed to create, present and control visual or auditory stimuli, some can also combine data analysis.

As far as I know, "Pscycho" is an open-source package for creating psychology stimuli for Python and "Psychophysics Toolbox" is a free set of another system's functions for doing visual psychophysic research. I don't know whether or not there is a package available for Mathematica. If not, I would like to ask someone whether it is difficult to create such a package, which can create, control and present visual, auditory or lexical stimuli and collect millisecond response data. I guess the professional organizations, such as the Psychonomic Society, would always welcome such a contribution.

Since Mathematica has abilities to combine stimulus creating, experiment presenting, data collecting and data analysis altogether and do it from a much deeper symbolic level, so a pre-built package would be more powerful and flexible than all other software. Can someone advice on how to do it? Many Thanks!