difference between HeavisidePi and UnitBox

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100245] difference between HeavisidePi and UnitBox
  • From: Anatoly <anatoly.bourov at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 20:57:16 -0400 (EDT)

I am a very new user, and am not quite clear on the difference between
general (HeavisidePi) and numerical (UnitBox, or piecewise) functions.

When I try to create a 5-bar pattern using one of these and apply a
FourierTransform, I have varying degrees of success...

With HeavisidePi I can create an infinite series of them and
FourierTransform has no problems, but it doesn't like modifying the
argument as in HeavisidePi(x/w)

With UnitBox I have the opposite issue.

Is there a clear explanation on the difference between the two groups
of functions, and when I should use which?