Re: "Freezing" an Output cell?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103745] Re: "Freezing" an Output cell?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 05:38:01 -0400 (EDT)

My initial query about

> > . . . .recommended way(s) to "freeze" an Output cell, so that
> > one can delete the Input cell(s) that created it and the Output cell
> > remains as a permanent "Text-like" cell in the notebook

has thus far elicited multiple suggestions, of which one of the simplest
seems to be to just insert a Text cell (either blank or maybe a caption
or title cell) just before the Output cell you want to keep.

I'm a bit surprised that only one reply suggested or commented on the
even simpler approach pf just changing the style of the Output cell in
the Format >> Style menu . . .  namely a reply from "Kevin J. McCann"
<kjm at KevinMcCann.com> who wrote:

> I do this all the time. Make a plot, for example, then highlight the
> bracket at the right and change the cell type to Figure. For the output
> of a Mathematica operation, you might choose to change the
> output cell to either Text or Equation or ...

I don't know what "Figure" is, or at least don't see any such style in
the Default style sheet.  But if my Output cell is a Plot or other
graphic, my experiments also show that just changing the style of an
Output cell to Text (or one of the header styles) does what I want.  My
only concern in doing this is that I don't know what other hidden
consequences this may be causing . . . ???