Re: ma-notebooks to nb-notebooks conversion

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103781] Re: ma-notebooks to nb-notebooks conversion
  • From: dr DanW <dmaxwarren at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 13:18:15 -0400 (EDT)

Since I cannot reproduce the problem, I can't really help diagnose.

I suspect the fault lies in the operating system.  I had no trouble on
a Mac.  One thing you might try is opening the .ma files in a text
editor and removing those characters, then try opening the file up
again in Mathematica 5.

If you are successful in opening the files, Mathematica may start
acting strangely, shrinking some cells to tiny fonts.  Close
Mathematica, and open the newly created .ma.nb file in a text editor.
Delete all lines above the (* Beginning of Notebook Content *) line
and below the (* End of Notebook Content *) line.  To be thorough, I
also delete all the options in the Notebook[] expression.  Save the
file and open it in a fresh start (front end and kernel) of
Mathematica.  It should appear normal now.

How many files are we talking about here?  I'm traveling over the next
few weeks, but I could convert a few more over a weekend.

Daniel