ErrorListPlot with Indeterminate list elements

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103924] ErrorListPlot with Indeterminate list elements
  • From: pfalloon <pfalloon at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 07:17:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I've just noticed what seems to me to be a bug in the behaviour of
ErrorListPlot which may be worth pointing out...

When given a list of pairs, {{y1,dy1}, {y2,dy2}, ...}, the expected
result is a plot with vertical coordinate yi and error bar of half-
width dy1. e.g.:

   Needs["ErrorBarPlots`"];

   pts = RandomReal[{-10,10},{20,2}];

   ErrorListPlot[pts]

However, if the list contains one or pairs of Indeterminate values, it
no longer does this, but instead seems to "fall through" and return a
regular ListPlot with the Indeterminate point discarded:

   pts[[5]] = {Indeterminate, Indeterminate};

   {ErrorListPlot[pts], ListPlot[pts]} // Row

This seems like a bug: I feel the "correct" behaviour would be to
discard the Indeterminate point, and then return the ErrorListPlot of
the remaining points.

Cheers,
Peter.