Mathematica 7.01 and Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103928] Mathematica 7.01 and Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akozlowski at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 07:18:38 -0400 (EDT)

I have been experiencing rare but very irritating problems running
Mathematica 7.01 under Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) on a MacBook. What
happens is that for some reason the kernel suddenly quits during an
evaluation. When I try to restart it (by evaluating some expression) I
get the message: "The kernel failed to start because you attempted to
run more Mathematica kernels than you have licensed." There are two
buttons, Purchase and Cancel. I find it rather annoying that the
Purchase button is selected by default but not half as annoying as the
fact that clicking on either button produces no effect. Everything is
actually frozen and there is no way out other than force quitting
Mathematica.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? As I mentioned - this seems
fairly rare; it has happened twice since I installed Snow Leopard
about  a month ago and I can't reproduce it.

Andrzej Kozlowski