Re: Error code: 480

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103942] Re: [mg103936] Error code: 480
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 23:18:28 -0400 (EDT)

The reason for the error code is not to be intentionally obscure, but because
the error is happening so early in the startup sequence that Mathematica hasn't
yet had a chance to load the text resources containing the error message. In
this case, the message is indicating that you have a syntax error in one of the
init.m files being read by the FE.  The most likely source of the problem is the
file pointed to by evaluating this command (which you can evaluate in a
standalone kernel):

ToFileName[{$UserBaseDirectory, "FrontEnd"}, "init.m"]

You can rename or delete this file, and then things will probably begin working
again.  If not, then you can just rename or move the directories
$UserBaseDirectory and $BaseDirectory out of the way, and that will definitely
solve the problem (once again, evaluate those variables in a standalone kernel
to see their values).

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com