Filling problem in ListLine Plot -- depends on the order of list ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104162] Filling problem in ListLine Plot -- depends on the order of list ?
  • From: fd <fdimer at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 06:31:54 -0400 (EDT)

All

I was using ListLinePlot[{list1,list2},Filling->{1->{2}}], where list1
and list2 take the form

list* = {{x1,y1},{x2,y2} ... }

The filling only seems to work when the x1,x2...is in ascending order.
Check this example

a = Sort[RandomReal[10, 50]];
b = Sort[RandomReal[10, 50]];

f[a_List] := {#, # + RandomReal[]} & /@ a

ListLinePlot[{f@a, f@b}, Filling -> {1 -> {2}}]

(**Filling works**)

a = Sort[RandomReal[10, 50], Greater];
b = Sort[RandomReal[10, 50], Greater];

f[a_List] := {#, # + RandomReal[]} & /@ a

ListLinePlot[{f@a, f@b}, Filling -> {1 -> {2}}]

(**Filling doesn't work**)

This behavior doesn't seem right, is there an explanation to it?

If I transform my (x,y) list into an interpolation function it works
in any order.

Any thoughts?

Best